Jul 30, 2008

Pan d'Epi



I am having so much fun with this bread baking, that I just can't stop. My dough is always ready and waiting for me in the fridge and when I am out, I just quickly mix everything together for a new batch in less than 5 minutes!



I attempted making a wheat stalk bread (pan d'epi in french). You can find the complete tutorial here. I made this form the "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day recipe. For the recipe click here.






* The book recommends to use a pizza peel to slide the bread in the oven easier. Mine broke during the move so I just use parchment paper. When using the parchment paper, the bottom of the bread doesn't get much color. I feel like it almost stays moist during the baking process. They recommend to remove the parchment paper during the last few minutes of baking, if you're having this problem.

2 comments:

Jeff Hertzberg said...

Irina: So glad the recipes are working for you. If you like the parchment paper but want better browing on the bottom crust, just peel the paper off when the loaf is three-quarters done. That should make a big difference.

Jeff Hertzberg (co-author!)
www.artisanbreadinfive.com

Irina said...

Thanks for the tip and thanks for stopping by! I really do love your book. It's genius!