Jul 15, 2008
Wanna-be Papa John's Pizza
I found this dough recipe here and the sauce recipes here. The dough is very fluffy. I, of course, forgot to grease the dough and poke holes in... blah blah blah. This is an easy dough recipe and tastes great too. Papa John's?....almost. I topped mine with chicken, mushrooms and tomatoes. I have rewritten the recipe the way I made it:
For the Dough:
2 1/2-3 cups flour
1 tablespoons sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons fast rising yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup very warm water(120 to 130 degrees)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. In the food processor, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt; blend well.
2. Gradually add water and oil to mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened, then pulse for 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 to 2 cup of flour until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.
3. On a floured surface, knead in 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover loosely with plastic and let rest in a warm place for about 15 minutes.
4. Press out dough onto (2) 12-inch pizza pans (*I would recommend using 1 larger pan, since this dough has no problem rising to the same Papa John's thickness). Prick randomly with a fork. Let rest again in a warm place for 10-15 minutes.
5. Brush crusts lightly with oil then prebake them in a 450 degree oven for 5 minutes.
6. Top as desired, then bake again in 450 degree oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
Special Garlic Sauce:
1/2 cup margarine, spread
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix well until completely blended.
2. Place the bowl into the microwave and cook on 1/2 power for 20 seconds. Stir to blend.
I made this with butter and fresh garlic - not the same taste.
1 (14 ounce) can tomato puree
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon basil
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1 small minced garlic
1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir well as bring to a boil.
2. When the sauce begins to bubble, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir often.